08 May 2010

Happy Mother's Day to my Mum

It's Mother's Day tomorrow, and my Mum is down to stay.

I've cooked her a meal – roast potato, pumpkin and sweet potato soup – complete with premium chicken stock and organic fresh cream; Greek inspired pizza – lamb, pumpkin, eggplant, feta and tzatziki; and home made trifle from my favourite local deli.

I hope she enjoys it as much as I've enjoyed preparing it. And I hope she loves the present I got her.

My Mum is the best mother anyone could wish for. She is patient, funny, generous (especially with her time), a brilliant cook, and she has done so much for me in my life. She spent so much time with me in hospital, even in my adult years. At home, she would comb the skin out of my scalp and do my wet dressings – all without any nursing training. Many nights were spent with me lying on the floor, her 'doing' me hair, which often hurt, but I have great memories of it because we used to make up fairytales together.

Sometimes we have arguments, and sometimes I may seem like I don't appreciate her as much as I should. And we don't ever agree on tidiness. I believe the tidy gene has bypassed me. But we always have a big laugh and I regard her as my best friend.

When I was choosing a card for Mum last week, I saw the cards for grandmothers. It made me think of my own grandmother, Nanny. Nanny passed away on 27 September 2008 at 86 years of age. Mother's Day 2008 was the last time I spoke to Nanny properly. She suffered from mental illness throughout her life – I often found this very difficult to understand. Towards the end of Nanny's life, my Mum (her daughter-in-law) was so good with her. I admire Mum a lot for this, and I hope that when it comes my turn to look after an elderly person in my life, I am just as patient and loving as Mum was with Nanny.

Nanny loved to write letters on pretty stationery, and to eat cake – two characteristics I've inherited from her. When I'd return to my parents' house, I'd often show Nanny the new clothes I'd purchased, and would put on a little fashion parade for her. On Christmas day 2007, we had a bit of a Trinny and Susannah session before going to a party, where Nanny and I gave Mum some advice about how to turn her figure into an hour glass simply by wearing something nipped in at the waist. It is a nice memory I have of her. In honour of Nanny on this Mother's Day, I chose the trifle because that was a favourite of hers.

Here are some of my favourite photos of Mum and I.

Easter 2009

Devenport, Tasmania, 2009

My birthday, 2007

Mum's birthday, 2008 - dancing to the Bee Gees

At Mum and Dad's house, 2007



Happy Mother's Day, Mum. I love you xx

5 comments:

  1. Awww, what a lovely post Carly. I think of my mum as my best friend too - it's great to know that there's always that unconditional love from mum.

    The meal you cooked for her sounds yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carly, how beautiful that you can honour your mother in such a special way - by writing such beautiful things, and preparing a meal with such thought. If you got your love of cake and writing from your Nanny, you surely got your beautiful, patient nature from your Mum. I hope you both have a very special day tomorrow! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a wonderful mother's day together. the meal sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carly
    What a lovely post!

    Hope you've had a great day with your fantastic mum.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your meal sounds so delicious! Your mum sounds so amazing and how touching it is to read about your strong and beautiful relationship. Hope you had an awesome day together!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I love receiving comments :)
I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me, and to share something about yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails