27 November 2010

Music I've been missing - Stealers Wheel, Stuck in the middle with you

A friend's Facebook status mentioned the lyrics from Stuck in the Middle with You by Stealers Wheel. I didn't even have to hear the song when I realised it is the music I've been missing.

 I think it is catchy and a little sexy.

Other than the song featuring in the film Reservoir Dogs, which I have never seen, I don't know anything about Stealers Wheel. I didn't even know how Stealers was spelt (Steelers, as in steel??) or whether it had an apostrophe (when in doubt, leave it out is my apostrophe motto).

Wikipedia reliably informs me that 'Stealers Wheel are a Scottish folk rock/rock band formed in Paisley, Renfrewshire in 1972 by former school friends Joe Egan and Gerry Rafferty.[1] The band broke up in 1975 and re-formed in 2008'. They released four albums. And comprised A LOT of band members:
  • Gerry Rafferty: vocals, lead guitar (1972–1975)
  • Joe Egan: lead vocals, keyboard (1972–1975)
  • Paul Pilnick: lead guitar (1972) and (2008–present) (born 17 March 1944, in Liverpool, Lancashire, England)
  • Tony Williams: bass guitar (1972) and (2008–present)
  • Ian Campell: bass guitar (1972) (born Ian Campbell, 17 July 1941, in Glasgow, Scotland).
  • Rod Coombes: drums (1972) and (2008–present)
  • Joe Jammer: guitar (1973–1975)
  • Andrew Steele: drums (1973–1975) (born Andrew Roy Malcolm Steele, 2 August 1941, in Hendon, London died 18 April 2005, in Alaska, United States).
  • Gerry Taylor: bass guitar(1973–1975)
  • Benie Holland: guitar (1975)
  • Dave Wintour: bass guitar (1975)
  • Luther Grosvenor (Ariel Bender): vocals, guitar (November 1972 - July 1973)
  • Tony Mitchell: guitar (2008–present)
Further members, who did not participate in any recordings
  • Rab Noakes: guitar, vocals (1972)
  • Roger Brown: vocals (1972)
  • DeLisle Harper: bass guitar (1973) (born Delisle McKenzie Harper, 20 November 1942).
There's not much else to say about Stealers Wheel (because I don't know much else), except that this song makes me dance in my seat.

Oh yeah, and Gerry Rafferty, back in the day, was quite the bearded indie rocker type I prefer:

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carly,
    I love Stealers Wheel but especially "Stuck in the middle with you" Its a classic IMO.
    Because I am an old nerd I will give you some trivia. Gerry Rafferty was in a band with Billy Conolly first and they had a Major falling out so there you go.
    Kate Bx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I love receiving comments :)
I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me, and to share something about yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails