12 January 2011

Melbourne street art exploration - Urban Cake Lady

My friend J and I went for a walk to get lunch last Friday and saw some amazing street art. It was located in Finlay Avenue, which is the rear of 280 Queen Street coming onto Little Lonsdale Street (between Queen and Elizabeth Streets) Melbourne.

I had not taken much notice of street art before, but what we saw last Friday was intriguing. It's no longer vandalism. It's temporary, constantly waiting to be destroyed or erased. Street art is so precious.

I took some photos and was really happy with the quality considering my basic camera.

There were a few different pieces, though I am not sure of the artists. If you know who they are, please leave a comment so I can credit their work.  I think the first two are by an artist called Sofie's One.



These ones are by Urban Cake Lady. They are so beautiful. The detail. The shading. The colours. It takes my breath away. I love the vibrant orange, the stripes and the ducks.






There is an insightful interview with Urban Cake Lady on Invurt. She talks about the recurring character in the orange hood, and the process of getting her art from an idea to on a city wall.

I am so glad I stumbled across this little laneway featuring this amazing art. I can't wait to explore more.


4 comments:

  1. Great post:)
    Hope you are oki?

    Have a great week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Love these photos Carly. I've got a lot of friends that are graffiti/paste up artists. I don't know these people though. The hooded girls are fantastic with their striped legs, they remind me of Little Red Riding Hood. With the swans they remind me of Little Red Riding Hood meets Swan Lake. I'm going to have to go and look at this work STAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your glimpses of Melbourne! So vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic street art! Thanks for posting about this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I love receiving comments :)
I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me, and to share something about yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails