21 June 2011

Blogs of note

Three more blogs I recommend this week, based on these beautiful entries. I find so many great blogs I don't read books anymore.

The first is by The Secret Life of a Retail Assistant.
She writes a moving letter to a young girl she saw in the change rooms at her work. She reassures the girl that she is beautiful and to love herself.

The letter starts like this:

"Dear young girl who left the fitting rooms at my work almost in tears,
You're beautiful. I know you won't believe me when I say this, but it is true. I know that you're not feeling too great about yourself right now, and you're upset that you can't fit into the same dresses that your sister can, but it's still true. You are beautiful."
Read the full letter here. Wow. It's a powerful message for girls to be happy in their skin. About individuality as beauty. And a reminder not to sweat the small stuff. I think all women should read this.

 The next is at Scattered Locality - a blogger I believe I came across on Twitter.
 
He writes fantastic entries about the music he loves and discovered, and the journeys he's traveled because of the music. Generally the blog entries are brief, cassingle sized entries, but I'm in love with this LP sized entry about Silverchair. This particular entry is a retrospect, celebrating Silverchair's songs, following the announcement of their 'indefinite hiatus'. Here's what he wrote about Emotion Sickness.
"Their masterpiece always in my opinion would be ‘Emotion Sickness’, a song so dark that I was kind of scared of listening to it on the radio. As it turned out, I grew to love this song more than any other song on the album. The video for it was stunning as well, and can never forget the first time I watched it on rage as well. It was about 11pm, I was tired and felt like a brick fell on my head. This video came on and it felt like a I had been stun gunned after those six minutes."
Read his whole Silverchair retrospective here, and enjoy the music videos!

Ben Pobjie, a Melbourne writer and comedian writes a blog called Ben Pobjie's Wonderful World Of Objects
Ben is a hilarious tweeter, especially about MasterChef. (He also writes a MasterChef recap column for the Age which is LOL funny. He is more serious on his blog, writing about depression and self worth. I believe a writer who shares this much personal emotion with strangers is a writer worth reading. One thing I was incredibly excited about was this tweet he wrote after Sandra wrote that she loves both of us in a blog entry on her $120 Food Challenge.
I was so very honoured by Ben's compliment. Wow :)

Happy Tuesday, be sure to check out these blogs!

1 comment:

  1. Aww, thank you for the mention Carly! I'm glad that my post resonated so well with you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog. I love receiving comments :)
I really appreciate the time you've taken to write to me, and to share something about yourself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails